Day of Understanding is Evolent Health's annual commitment to make room for Evolenteers to have candid conversations about DE&I in order to create a more inclusive company culture.
This year’s theme is allyship.
We hope this experience can help you learn about and explore ways to help mitigate any potential unconscious bias, and become a better ally. Here at Evolent, we define an ally as a person of one social identity group who actively promotes and advances the culture of inclusion through institutional, positive and conscious efforts of another group.
_q_tweetable: Anyone can be an ally, and everyone can use an ally, and you can use your privilege in the moment to extend that privilege to someone else. - Summer Simmons, Director of Product Creative, Netflix _q_
Follow the two-step instructions below. The goal of this activation is to take a thoughtful look at the personal and diverse experience of the folks below. To prepare:
- Create space for yourself
- Reflect on what you know about the topic
- Start where you are and be kind to yourself - you can’t know everything about everything!
- Give yourself permission to feel uncomfortable
- Let us know if you've learned something new by taking our one-question survey at the bottom of this page
Please take a few minutes to explore one (or more) of the below videos:
In Case You're Interested...
- What were some of the feelings or judgments you experienced?
- What do you think triggered those feelings?
- How can you identify when your unconscious mind may not be aligned with your conscious beliefs?
- What can you do to challenge those feelings?
- What personal reflections are you taking away?
- What is a recent event or topic that you would like to talk about and how has it affected you?